- Shocks are most efficient when mounted in line with the line of travel. The factory shocks are mounted at an angle and are not as effective during normal driving conditions.
- The OEM mounting point creates a "bowl". It is common for water to collect here are cause the factory mounting point to rust out.
- Much easier shock access for maintenance.
Shock Fitment Guide
We cannot guarantee which shock diameter or length will fit your current bump stop, wheel offset or tire size since every setup is different, but here are some general guidelines on what we have found to work.
For those of you running stock backspacing (4.75"), we have already seen customers running a 2.0" shock with a small amount of clearance to the stock size tires.
A 2.5" shock diameter will clear the frame. It will also clear most wheel offsets.
This product was designed to be easy to position. There is a driver and a passenger side to the OSM. The arrow cut into the product should be facing towards the front of the vehicle.
Position the OSM so that it sits approximately 1/8" to 1/4" behind the factory tube support and 1/8" to 1/4" away from the top of the frame.
- The OSM should be positioned so that the shock mounting surface is in line with the factory shock
- Mark the outline of the mount with a marker and then remove paint from the area of installation
- Tack the OSM in place and ensure that this is the location that you want it to be in. If you want it to be lower, you may cut off the portion on the bottom and move the mount lower. Install the shock and ensure that this is where you want to position the mount before fully welding in place.
- Weld the mount in place. Once the surface is cool to the touch, paint the bare metal and reinstall your shocks. Ensure that your tires do not contact the shocks before finishing your installation.
Disclaimer and Warranty
By purchasing this product, you agree that Snowbound Customs is not liable for any damages to you or your vehicle caused by the installation of the OSM. The product is sold as "Weld On" and you are responsible for ensuring that you or your installer have created quality welds to hold the product in place, that your shock of choice is of the correct length, that you have correctly set your bump stop height and that you have placed the OSM in the correct location. This products is intended for off-road use only.
This product will not increase the amount of travel your axle is able to move. Mounting shocks in a vertical line will decrease amount of travel for the same shock length versus mounting it at an angle inboard of the frame. Your axle travel is limited by the suspension geometry and the size of your shock.
There may be some minor surface imperfections on the product that will not affect the performance of the OSM. If you notice that there is a flaw in the product you received, please contact Snowbound Customs immediately to resolve the matter.